I am an assistant professor at the Johannes Kepler University (JKU). I explore deep learning methods for addressing challenges in language understanding, especially in areas such as information retrieval, summarization, and document analysis. Prior to it, I was a post-doctoral researcher at Idiap Research Institute (affilated with EPFL), and a PhD candidate at TU Vienna. I am curious about the role and impact of such methods when harnessed for real-world policy challenges.
Areas of interest:
- Deep Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Information Retrieval
- Interpretability, Bias, Fairness
- Computational Social Science
- 05/2019 We organize a workshop at the AI for Good Global Summit (Geneva 28-31 May) discussing the applications of NLP in the humanitarian domain, in the context of the DEEP project. Find us in the Public Sector and AI section.
- 04/2019 Our paper "Enriching Word Embeddings for Patent Retrieval with Global Context" won best systems short paper award at ECIR 2019 paper
- 04/2019 Our paper "On the Effect of Low-Frequency Terms on Neural-IR Models" accepted at SIGIR 2019 paper
- 01/2019 I am a keynote speaker at the Representation Learning for Complex Data Mining workshop at University Lyon 2, talking about Representation Leanring in Information Retrieval
- 12/2018 Our paper "Enriching Word Embeddings for Patent Retrieval with Global Context" accepted at ECIR 2019 paper